Posts tagged #programming

Palette Shifting Effectively

Sail image by Peterson Freitas (Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 4.0 International)

Hello! It's been quite a while. I've been trapped in this cycle of trying to figure out what to write, finding it not good enough and then just deferring what to write even longer and I can't say it's been a great move. Before I move on to the topic, I'll put a little update:

  • I have started my final year and my honours project! It revolves around natural language parsing and I will surely write more on that in time.
  • I've been doing occasional streams varying between gamedev and academic. I also updated the site to display when my stream is live some time ago.
  • I picked up Super Mario Odyssey! Here's how good it is: it's like Super Mario 64 and Banjo Kazooie and I despise both. I love Super Mario Odyssey! Just about everything about it is a treat. I stream it occasionally.
  • Weekly roundups (clearly) don't work for me so I'll just stick to doing updates when I can!

Okay, that about covers it. Now, onto the actual topic of the day!

Newer Hardware With Less Features?

Now, this is going to be grossly oversimplified because I don't particularly care for the...

Hey, there's more! Click here to read the rest!

Day 2: The Legend of the Usable UI Library

Finding the Solution to a Consistent Gripe

There are a lot of things to love with MonoGame (and by extension, C#). Interfacing is not one of them. By that, I mean, there is absolutely nothing that MonoGame provides to deal with it, you must make use of an interfacing library or roll your own code...except, there are actually very few interfacing libraries for C# and the ones that do exist are either needlessly complex or completely lacking (but odd design choices make them difficult to extend to your needs).

For some time, I found relative success with Squid, a blackbox library where you provide the rendering implementation and gave it inputs and it would take care of the logic, and it sortof worked, but I met 2 issues:

  1. The library wasn't actually very up-to-date and had some issues, and the developer behind it didn't seem to want to continue it
  2. Actually implementing UIs: all this time spent trying to come to an ideal solution meant that I had no real experience actually making a good game UI!

I thought hard about what I actually wanted in an interfacing library and came to the conclusion that I just wanted something that I could...

Hey, there's more! Click here to read the rest!

Day 1: Project Structure & Network Considerations

Let's Begin Development!

Like any old programming project, we have to start from actually...making a project! Now, because Unnamed will be an online game, we'll need more than one project. There are three projects in total:

  1. The client: effectively a view for taking data from the server and passing input back.
  2. The server: the thing that the game logic will actually run on, alongside storing player data and islands.
  3. The core: functionality that is shared between the client/server and can function interoperably so a client with different specifications could possibly be made at any time.

You can see that some stuff is done already: I write these things at the end of the day, you know!

The server is just a standard console application and the core will just be a library. The client itself is a DirectX MonoGame project for Windows. Both the client and server reference the core.

I've made it pretty clear in the past that I like using NodeJS, however, there are two reasons on why I've decided to not make both the client/server in NodeJS:

  1. I didn't want to spend too much time on database implementation; C# lets me just serialise an object and store it as a...
Hey, there's more! Click here to read the rest!

The Making of Icy Blog

Alternative Title: Why Does PHP Still Exist (I promise, this isn't a PHP complaint article.)

Shortly before making Icy Blog, I took a good look at Glaciate. It was stagnant with little (if any) content and half of the systems that I had painstakingly wrote were broken during a web host transfer. I wasn't ever really happy about nothing happening.

I thought hard about what I wanted it to be. Or rather, what I wanted to use to get it to be what I wanted it to be. My requirements were simple:

  1. It had to be something I could actually understand to make changes to. This ruled out anything PHP-based, as frankly, I don't want to think of a single hilarity that goes on with that thing.
  2. It had to be something I could easily style. As much as I love WordPress, too much trial-and-error goes on for my liking. This is more of a me issue than a WordPress issue.
  3. It had to be something I could easily publish to. I don't like having account systems for things that only I can have access to. Many blog systems are more complex than my needs. I can easily make a new post by just...
Hey, there's more! Click here to read the rest!